Saturday 23 August 2014

No rest for the wicked…but there should be!


Anyone who knows me well, knows that I can't sit still.  You'll be lucky if you catch me relaxing on the couch for more than 5 minutes.  This is reflected in the style of yoga I practice.  A 7-day a week vinyasa practice I could not do without.  But…….then I hurt my back.  And it wasn't one of those "I did a yoga pose and then there was a searing pain in my back"…the pain slowly made it's way from my neck all the way to my low back (the quadratus lomborum for the anatomy nerds out there).   

Umm, ya, it sucked.  

I could barely get out of bed.  I wasn't sleeping through the night because every time I turned, I woke up because the pain was just too much.  So needless to say, it made things not fun.

What did I learn from all this?  Give your body a break once in a while…otherwise, it will get really mad and force you to take a really long break.  (Just to put this in perspective - I hurt my back on Tuesday…it's now Saturday and although the back is better, it's still not fully healed.)

So incorporate some restorative yoga or meditation or both!  Your body will thank you :)  Check www.yogaglo.com for some great classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment